Whalers' Lookout & The Glass bottom boat

Previous page: We arrive in Bicheno


I awoke after having the most dreadful night's sleep.  We had turned the air-conditioner off and had the sliding door open so there was plenty of fresh air. There was no real traffic noise either.  Ian had been tossing and turning all night which didn't help plus the sheets seem strangely noisy.  They almost seem to have a polished finish - not hard, just slippery.

 We ate a simple but enjoyable buffet breakfast. Whilst eating we noticed a sea mist had rolled in. It was quite cool.



Whalers’ Lookout

We would climb Whalers' Lookout Whalers' Lookout

Whilst eating breakfast an older couple, from our tour group, had mentioned they had walked up to the top of Whaler’s Lookout prior to eating their breakfast. They recommended it and said it took only 45 minutes there and back.  We had a couple of hours free time that morning so we thought a good walk would suit us well.  I have to say that we thought it would take far in excess of 45 minutes but we were wrong.  It was a great walk/climb but there are lots of rocky steps so if anyone is unsteady on their feet it could be quite a challenge.  There are two great lookout platforms to take in the scenery.  One looks over Governor Island and the offers an excellent view over Bicheno and Waub’s Bay.

Blow Holes in Bicheno, Tasmania Boys dodging the water at the Blow Holes

The Blow Holes

Back down at ground level we recognized another couple from out tour group.  We stopped to chat to them.  We discovered they came from Western Australia too, just like us. 

From there we decided to walk to the nearby Blow Holes.  We could see the water pushing up between the rocks but it was so hard to capture a photo of it.



Walking back to the motel

We slowly ambled back to the motel.  We noticed that no-one keeps a green lawn here.  Even at our holiday accommodation the front grass was totally dry and brown.  Everyone’s lawn is crisp.  We both thought that Brett, our coach driver, had said there were no watering restrictions in Tasmania.  We very much expected Tasmania to be so green.  Perhaps it is part of Tasmanians culture not to be concerned about a brown lawn in summer.  Perhaps that is the way all of us Australians should be thinking.


Ride on the Glass Bottom Boat

At 11.45 a.m. a mini bus came to take us to the jetty area to board the Glass Bottom Boat.  We knew in advance what it would look like because we had seen it from Whalers’ Lookout.  The weather had warmed up a bit but, out on the water and in the shade of the boat’s awning, Ian and I soon became very cold.  We had thought we were being sensible in bringing our hats and sunscreen but we didn’t need either. Twenty of us fitted nicely on the boat.  The other twenty people from our tour group had gone out on the boat earlier.  The boat stays in close to the shore in quite calm water.  There is no need to take a sea-sickness pill for this little jaunt.

The Glass bottom Boat The Glass Bottom Boat
Fish seen just below our boat Fish seen in the clear waters









The water was very clear.  We saw various seaweeds, stingrays, fish and squid.  The owner of the boat was a very young guy and he did a great commentary for us.  He told us about the local crayfish industry and he said most of the crayfish caught in Bicheno go to Hong Kong from where they are smuggled into China.  As interesting as the Glass Bottom Boat was I think both of us were glad to get off it and go somewhere to warm up.


Sea Life Centre

We ate a huge meal at the Sea Life Centre The Sea Life Centre Restaurant

The little mini bus took us straight to the Sea Life Centre where we caught up with the rest of our tour group.  It is quite a large restaurant with a view out over the ocean.   We were all treated to entrees and mains. The servings were enormous.  Truly, the entrees were all the size of main courses.  Because we were so cold, Ian and I both chose meat and vegetable soup.  For main course Ian selected scallops and I ordered chicken.  Very few of the tour group managed to finish their lunches because we were all so full.


The Sea Life Centre is almost directly over the road from the motel so at 2:30 p.m. we all sluggishly made our way back to the motel on foot.


A huge commendation to Evergreen Tours

Originally, according to our itinerary, we should have been down Port Arthur way at that stage of the tour.  The itinerary had to be changed at the last minute because of the bush fires.  Evergreen did a fantastic job is securing accommodation for the whole coach group for an extra night in advance of our intended one night stay in Bicheno.  Not only did they manage that but they quickly managed to secure the services of the Glass Bottom Boat operator.  I believe that, according to the original itinerary, we had free time around lunch on that particular day of the tour.  On tour, when you have free time close to a meal, it means you buy your own lunch.  However, Evergreen paid for the enormous lunch at the Sea Life Centre as a way of recompensing us for missing out on Port Arthur.

Thumbs up for Evergreen for making such outstanding effort for all of us, under what were very trying circumstances in the tourism industry.


Next page: The magical penguin tour





Across the ocean from
Whalers' Lookout

Whalers' Lookout